Voters who will stay abroad during the European Parliament elections 2019 may participate in one of the following ways:
1. To vote by mail
Voters have to apply for a postal vote:
- from 16 March to 13 April 2019 in diplomatic and consular missions of the Republic of Latvia,
- from 16 March to 25 April 2019 to the polling station commission for the postal voting in Riga.
In order to apply, a signed application must be submitted to the relevant authority in person or by post. The application may also be submitted electronically on the Latvija.lv or by e-mail, signed with a secure e-signature.
2. To vote at any polling station established in foreign countries on the election day
Voters have to apply for registration to vote at a polling station abroad from 16 March to 7 May 2019:
- online through the e-service of the Office of Citizenship and Migration Affairs for change of the polling station,
- in person submitting the application to a diplomatic or consular mission of the Republic of Latvia.
A list of polling stations abroad will be available from 16 March 2019.
Useful to know
In the elections to the European Parliament Latvian voters residing in any other EU Member State have the right to vote for the lists of candidates of that country. It should be noted that when choosing this option and being included in the electoral roll of the country of residence, the voter loses the right to vote for the Latvian lists of candidates.
If you have the right to vote in another EU Member State and want to use this option, please contact the authority responsible for elections of this country.
Useful information on voting opportunities in the EU Member States